Traveling to Atlanta, Georgia with young children is a great way to experience the city’s rich culture and attractions, not to mention the delicious food and wonderful southern hospitality. While there are many pros and cons to consider when traveling with children, there is no denying the excitement and memories that await. Here is a comprehensive guide of the top 15 child friendly activities, top 5 child friendly restaurants, top 3 hotels or places to stay, top outdoor activity, top indoor activity, and general information about the city.
Top 15 Child Friendly Activities
1. Georgia Aquarium: This world-class aquarium is a must-see for families visiting Atlanta. With more than 10 million gallons of fresh and salt water, the aquarium offers a variety of aquatic animals, interactive shows, and educational programs.
2. Zoo Atlanta: Visit the nation’s largest collection of gorillas and pandas. The zoo also features a variety of other animals, as well as a carousel, playground, and a petting zoo.
3. Centennial Olympic Park: This park, which was built to commemorate the 1996 Summer Olympic Games, is perfect for families with young children. Featuring a children’s playground, interactive fountain, and a variety of events and concerts, the park offers plenty of fun for the whole family.
4. Skyview Atlanta: Take a ride in a glass-enclosed gondola to the top of the city and admire the stunning views.
5. World of Coca-Cola: Learn about the history of the popular soft drink and sample more than 100 flavors from around the world.
6. Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site: Pay your respects to the civil rights leader and visit his birth home, museum, and memorial.
7. Stone Mountain Park: Hike up the 825 foot granite dome or take a ride on the summit skylift. The park also features a variety of other attractions, including a laser show and a 4D theater.
8. Fernbank Museum of Natural History: Explore the museum’s permanent exhibitions, which include dinosaur displays, a planetarium, and a variety of interactive exhibits.
9. Atlanta Botanical Garden: Enjoy the outdoor gardens, which feature a variety of plants and flowers, as well as a variety of special events and activities.
10. Georgia State Capitol: Take a tour of the state capitol, which has been standing for more than 150 years.
11. SweetWater Creek State Park: Hike the trails, which feature a variety of wildlife and natural beauty.
12. Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum: Learn about the civil war and admire the massive, 360-degree painting of the battle of Atlanta.
13. Atlanta Movie Tours: Take a tour of some of the city’s most popular filming locations and learn about the history of the city’s film industry.
14. College Football Hall of Fame: This interactive museum is perfect for football fans and features a variety of exhibits and activities.
15. Center for Puppetry Arts: Explore the museum and theater, which features a variety of puppet shows and performances.
Top 5 Child Friendly Restaurants
1. Antico Pizza Napoletana: This fast casual restaurant offers authentic, Neapolitan-style pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven. Reviews say the restaurant has a casual atmosphere, and the pizza is made with fresh ingredients and cooked to perfection.
2. The Varsity: This iconic fast casual restaurant is the perfect place for families visiting Atlanta. The menu features classic American comfort food at reasonable prices. Reviews say the atmosphere is lively and the food is delicious.
3. Hal’s The Steakhouse: This family friendly, sit-down restaurant is a great place for a special occasion. The menu features classic steakhouse fare, as well as a variety of seafood and other dishes. Reviews say the food is top notch and the service is always excellent.
4. The Sun Dial Restaurant: This fine dining restaurant is located at the top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza. The views from the restaurant are stunning, and the menu features classic American cuisine and a variety of seafood dishes. Reviews say the atmosphere is elegant and the food is delicious.
5. The Vortex Bar & Grill: This family friendly restaurant serves up classic American comfort food, including burgers, wings, and other favorites. The restaurant is also known for its extensive craft beer selection and lively atmosphere. Reviews say the food is amazing and the service is always friendly.
Top 3 Hotels or Places to Stay
1. Luxury Option: The St. Regis Atlanta. This luxurious hotel is located in the heart of Buckhead. Guests can enjoy a variety of amenities, including a fitness center, spa, and rooftop pool. Reviews say the rooms are spacious and the service is top notch.
2. Family Friendly Option: The Westin Atlanta Perimeter North. This hotel is ideal for families, offering spacious suites and a variety of amenities, including a heated outdoor pool, game room, and playground. Reviews say the hotel is clean and offers a great value.
3. Budget or Value Option: The Quality Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport. This hotel is perfect for travelers on a budget. It offers a variety of amenities, including free airport shuttle service and a complimentary breakfast. Reviews say the rooms are clean and comfortable.
Top Outdoor Activity
The Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area is the perfect place for families looking to get outdoors. The park features a variety of trails, perfect for walking, biking, or strolling. Kids will love exploring the river, which is home to a variety of wildlife and natural beauty. The trails are also stroller and wheelchair friendly, making them accessible to all. Families can also enjoy fishing and picnicking in the park. Reviews say the trails are well-maintained and the views are stunning.
Top Indoor Activity
The Children’s Museum of Atlanta is the perfect place for families looking for a fun indoor activity. The museum features a variety of interactive exhibits, perfect for kids of all ages. Kids can explore the museum’s Discovery Den, which features a play area and science experiments, as well as a variety of other exhibits, including an art studio, a waterworks area, and an animal sanctuary. Reviews say the museum is fun and educational, and the exhibits are engaging and hands-on.
Atlanta is a great city for families to explore, with plenty of attractions and activities to keep everyone entertained. The city is home to a variety of neighborhoods, each with its own unique attractions and activities. The best neighborhoods for families to visit include Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown. The best time to visit Atlanta is in the spring and fall, when the weather is mild and the city is bustling with activities. The best way for families to get around the city is to take advantage of MARTA, the city’s public transportation system.