Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, has plenty of activities for families with young children. With hundreds of child-friendly activities, restaurants, hotels, and outdoor activities, it’s no wonder why Houston is a popular destination for families. Here is a guide for families traveling to Houston with young children.
Top 15 Child-Friendly Activities
1. The Children’s Museum of Houston – This multi-level museum is packed with interactive exhibits and activities, perfect for children of all ages. From a giant bubble-making machine to a 3-story Construction Zone, the museum offers a wide range of fun and educational activities.
2. Houston Space Center – Kids of all ages will love exploring the interactive exhibits and hands-on activities at the Houston Space Center. Take a tour of Mission Control or climb aboard the full-size Space Shuttle replica.
3. Houston Zoo – With over 6,000 animals and 900 species, the Houston Zoo is a great place for families with young children. Spend the day exploring the exhibits, meeting the animals, and participating in interactive activities.
4. Moody Gardens – This 250-acre tropical paradise features a variety of attractions, including a Rainforest Pyramid, Aquarium Pyramid, Discovery Pyramid, and a 3D theater. Kids can explore the tropical plants, meet the animals, and take part in interactive activities.
5. Schlitterbahn Waterpark – Spend a day cooling off at the Schlitterbahn Waterpark, where kids can ride the water slides, float the lazy river, and play in the water playground.
6. Houston Museum of Natural Science – This museum offers an extensive collection of educational exhibits, interactive activities, and a planetarium. Kids can explore the butterfly exhibits, see fossils and artifacts, and take part in educational activities.
7. Houston Ballet – Take the family to the Houston Ballet for a performance of the Nutcracker or other classic ballets. Kids will love the exciting performances and colorful costumes.
8. Houston Symphony – Treat the family to a performance by the Houston Symphony. Kids can enjoy the music and learn about the instruments in the orchestra.
9. Houston Arboretum and Nature Center – Head to the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center for a day of exploring the trails, gardens, and wildlife. Kids can learn about the native plants and animals, take part in educational programs, and explore the interactive exhibits.
10. Kemah Boardwalk – This popular boardwalk features a variety of rides, games, and live music. Kids can ride the roller coasters, take a spin on the Ferris wheel, and play carnival games.
11. Memorial Park – This 1,500-acre park is perfect for a family outing. Kids can explore the trails, play in the playground, and fish in the lake.
12. Houston Botanic Garden – Take the family to the Houston Botanic Garden for a day of exploring the gardens, pathways, and wildlife. Kids can learn about the plants, observe the animals, and take part in educational activities.
13. Houston Grand Opera – Take the family to the Houston Grand Opera for a performance of a classic opera. Kids can learn about the art form and experience the music and drama of the opera.
14. Houston Museum District – Enjoy a day exploring the many museums in the Houston Museum District. Kids can learn about science, art, history, and more in the many interactive exhibits and activities.
15. Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens – Take a tour of the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, where kids can explore the grounds, learn about the history of the area, and see the art and artifacts.
Top 5 Child-Friendly Restaurants
1. The Breakfast Klub – This fast casual restaurant is known for its delicious Southern-style breakfast. Kids will love the fluffy pancakes and crispy waffles. Reviewers also love the friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere.
2. Cloud 10 Creamery – This ice cream shop offers a variety of unique and delicious flavors, perfect for kids and adults alike. Try the strawberry lavender ice cream or the salted caramel cookie dough. Reviewers love the unique flavors and the cozy atmosphere.
3. Common Bond Café and Bakery – This bakery is a great spot for brunch or lunch. Kids will love the French toast, macarons, and croissants. Reviewers love the sweet and savory dishes, as well as the friendly staff.
4. Local Foods – This fast casual restaurant is a great spot for lunch or dinner. Kids will love the sandwiches, salads, and fresh juices. Reviewers love the healthy options and the friendly atmosphere.
5. Pondicheri – This Indian restaurant is a great spot for lunch or dinner. Kids will love the flavorful curries, naan, and tandoori dishes. Reviewers love the flavorful dishes and the lively atmosphere.
Top 3 Hotels
1. Luxury Option: The Houstonian Hotel – This luxury hotel is located in the heart of Houston. Kids will love the outdoor pool and the on-site spa. Reviewers love the luxurious rooms, the attentive staff, and the delicious dining options.
2. Family-Friendly Option: The Westin Houston – This family-friendly hotel features an outdoor pool and a kids’ club. Kids will love the complimentary breakfast and the spacious rooms. Reviewers love the friendly staff, the convenient location, and the modern amenities.
3. Budget/Value Option: La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston – This budget-friendly hotel is a great option for families. Kids will love the free breakfast and the outdoor pool. Reviewers love the clean rooms, the friendly staff, and the convenient location.
Top Outdoor Activity
Houston Arboretum & Nature Center – This 155-acre nature preserve is a great spot for a family outing. Kids can explore the trails, take part in educational programs, and observe the wildlife. Stroller- and wheelchair-friendly paths make exploring the park easy for families with young children. Reviewers love the wide variety of plants and animals, the peaceful atmosphere, and the educational programs.
Top Indoor Activity
Houston Children’s Museum – This multi-level museum is packed with interactive exhibits and activities, perfect for kids of all ages. From a giant bubble-making machine to a 3-story Construction Zone, the museum offers a wide range of fun and educational activities. Kids can explore the exhibits, participate in hands-on activities, and take part in educational programs. Reviewers love the variety of exhibits, the interactive activities, and the friendly staff.
Houston is a great destination for families with young children. The city is home to a variety of child-friendly activities, restaurants, hotels, and outdoor activities. Top neighborhoods for families include Montrose, The Heights, and Midtown. The best time to visit Houston is from November to March when the weather is mild and the humidity is low. The best way to get around the city is via a rental car or taxi.
Pros and Cons
1. There are plenty of child-friendly activities in Houston, including museums, zoos, waterparks, and more.
2. Houston is a relatively affordable city with plenty of budget-friendly hotels and restaurants.
3. The mild weather makes it a great place to visit year-round.
1. Houston is a large and spread out city, making it difficult to get around without a car.
2. The heat and humidity can be overwhelming during the summer months.
3. Traffic can be heavy during rush hour.