Los Angeles, California is a vibrant and diverse city that offers endless opportunities for families with young children to explore and experience. While there are many pros to visiting Los Angeles with young children, including access to a wide range of child-friendly activities and a mild year-round climate, there are also a few cons to consider, such as the high cost of living and the city’s often-congested traffic. Below, we have compiled a list of the top 15 child-friendly activities, 5 unique child-friendly restaurants, 3 family-friendly accommodation options, an outdoor activity and an indoor activity for rainy days, as well as general information about the city to help you plan your trip to Los Angeles with young children.
Top 15 Child-Friendly Activities:
- Griffith Observatory: Located in Griffith Park, the Griffith Observatory offers a variety of interactive exhibits and shows for children, including a live planetarium show that teaches kids about the universe. The observatory also has a number of outdoor telescopes that children can use to view the stars and planets.
- California Science Center: This interactive science museum is a hit with kids of all ages, featuring hands-on exhibits, demonstrations, and live presentations. The California Science Center is home to the space shuttle Endeavour, which kids can explore and learn about.
- Los Angeles Zoo: The Los Angeles Zoo is home to over 1,400 animals from around the world, including gorillas, elephants, and chimpanzees. Kids can watch animal demonstrations, visit the petting zoo, and take part in educational programs.
- Disneyland: Located in nearby Anaheim, Disneyland is a must-visit for families with young children. With a variety of rides, shows, and attractions, there’s something for everyone at this iconic theme park.
- Universal Studios Hollywood: This movie-themed amusement park is another popular destination for families with young children, offering a variety of rides, shows, and attractions based on popular movies and TV shows.
- Aquarium of the Pacific: This aquarium in Long Beach is home to over 11,000 animals, including dolphins, sharks, and sea turtles. Kids can touch and feed certain animals, watch live animal demonstrations, and take part in educational programs.
- Kidspace Children’s Museum: This museum in Pasadena is designed specifically for young children, offering a variety of hands-on exhibits and activities that help kids learn through play.
- The Getty Center: While this art museum may not be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of child-friendly activities, the Getty Center has a number of interactive exhibits and activities that are perfect for kids.
- Legoland California: This theme park in Carlsbad is geared towards younger children, with a variety of rides, shows, and attractions based on the popular Lego toys.
- L.A. Live: This entertainment complex in downtown Los Angeles has a number of kid-friendly activities, including an ice skating rink, a bowling alley, and a movie theater.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Located at Universal Studios Hollywood, this Harry Potter-themed area is a hit with kids and adults alike.
- The Hollywood Walk of Fame: While this may not be a traditional child-friendly activity, kids will enjoy seeing the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and taking pictures with their favorite celebrities.
- Pacific Park: This amusement park on the Santa Monica Pier has a variety of rides and games for kids, including a ferris wheel with panoramic views of the ocean.
- The Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round: This historic carousel is located in Griffith Park and is a fun activyt for kids of all ages.
5 Unique Child-Friendly Restaurants:
- Shake Shack: This fast casual chain serves up burgers, hot dogs, shakes, and more. Reviewers rave about the delicious food and friendly staff, making it a great option for families with young children.
- The Griddle Cafe: This sit-down restaurant in Hollywood is known for its giant pancakes, omelets, and breakfast sandwiches. Kids will love the fun, family-friendly atmosphere, and adults will appreciate the delicious food.
- L&E Oyster Bar: This fine dining seafood restaurant in Silver Lake has a relaxed, kid-friendly atmosphere and serves up a variety of fresh oysters, fish, and other seafood dishes. Reviewers love the high-quality food and the friendly, attentive staff.
- Nickel Diner: This retro-themed sit-down restaurant in downtown Los Angeles serves up classic diner fare, including burgers, sandwiches, and milkshakes. Kids will love the fun atmosphere, and adults will appreciate the delicious food.
- The Pizza Plant: This sit-down pizzeria in Beverly Hills serves up artisanal pizzas, pastas, and salads in a family-friendly atmosphere. Reviewers love the delicious food and the relaxed, casual vibe.
Top 3 Family-Friendly Accommodation Options:
- Luxury: The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles: Located in downtown Los Angeles, this luxurious hotel offers a variety of amenities for families, including a children’s pool, a kid’s club, and in-room babysitting services. Reviewers love the high-end amenities and the friendly, attentive staff.
- Family-Friendly: The Beverly Hills Hotel: This iconic hotel in Beverly Hills has a variety of amenities for families, including a children’s pool, a kid’s club, and in-room babysitting services. Reviewers rave about the luxurious accommodations and the friendly staff.
- Budget/Value: Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel: Located in West Hollywood, this budget-friendly hotel offers a variety of amenities for families, including a children’s pool, a playground, and in-room kitchenettes. Reviewers appreciate the affordable rates and the convenient location.
Top Outdoor Activity:
Echo Park: This park in downtown Los Angeles offers a variety of activities for families, including a playground, a lake, and a walking trail. Kids will love the fun playground and the chance to feed the ducks, and adults will appreciate the beautiful scenery and the convenient location.
Top Indoor Activity for Rainy Days:
The Kidspace Children’s Museum: This museum in Pasadena is a great option for families with young children on rainy days, offering a variety of hands-on exhibits and activities that help kids learn through play. Reviewers love the interactive exhibits and the educational focus of the museum.
Los Angeles has a mild year-round climate, with average temperatures ranging from the mid-60s to the mid-70s. The best months to visit depend on your preferences, as the city experiences warm temperatures and sunny skies throughout the year. Some popular neighborhoods for families to visit include Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and Santa Monica. To get around the city with young children, you may want to consider renting a car or using ride-sharing services such as Uber or Lyft. Public transportation is also available, including the metro and bus system.
Overall, Los Angeles is a great destination for families with young children, offering a wide variety of child-friendly activities, restaurants, accommodation options, and outdoor and indoor activities for rainy days. With its mild climate and endless opportunities for exploration and discovery, Los Angeles isna great destination for families looking to have a fun and memorable vacation. From theme parks and museums to beaches and playgrounds, Los Angeles has something for every member of the family to enjoy. So pack your bags and get ready to explore all that this vibrant city has to offer.